December 31, 2018
We all know that, every new start needs a throughout overview and evaluation. If we make such an evaluation, while waiting in front of the doors of the new starts, we can feel much more confident for the upcoming events.
We are about to say “goodbye” to the year 2018 through good and bad days. Some of us married some of us got divorce, some of us got a good job and some of us earned good money. On the other side, the deaths, longings, diseases and poverty also took their roles in 2018.
What happened in 2018 ? My main concern in this blog piece is not make a detailed analysis of political or economic affairs of 2018. I will just try to write about some important events in the fields of politics, magazine and other points worthy of concern.
- After 2016 coup attempt, the FETO investigations have continued to be carried out in a fast way throughout 2018
- The devaluation of Turkish Lira and the rise of US Dollars had taken the attention of not just economists but also almost every segment of society, as this rise has also reflected on the prices.
- In the magazine arena, the most noteworthy development of 2018 has been Ahmet Kural-Sıla Gençoğlu affair. Sıla one of the popular singers in Turkey has was subjected to violence by her boyfriend actor Ahmet Kural. This violence affair has dominated the news bulletins for a considerable amount of time. This event has once again showed that the violence against women is a very big problem in Turkey.
- Professor Canan Karatay and her arguments dominated the news bulletins in 2018. Especially her views about antidepressants have casued the psychiatrists’ reaction against her thesis very much.
- One of the big losses of 2018 has been the death of the photography artist Ara Güler.
- One of the important sensational events of 2018 has been the release of Adnan Oktar organization.
- Another disclosure of a shameful event in 2018 has been about a male gynecologist’s sexual harassment that he exercised upon his patients. He is now in jail.
- Another shameful event of 2018 has been a woman’s dirty expressions that she made in Anıtkabir about the great leader Ataturk This woman’s pious image with a headscarf can be seen as a threat to Islam’s image.
- Maybe, the most shameful event of 2018 has been the disclosure of the “child mother” news. 115 girls under the age of 18 had given birth in a state hospital and the social work specialist who have made this affair get attention has been accused in some media organs.
- The murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khassoggi in October has been the most mysterious event of Turkey in 2018.
- The most dramatic event of 2018 has been the death of two Turkish soldiers because of the cold weather in Tunceli.
- The most gratifying event of 2018 has been the victory of Sümeyye Boyacı despite her disability. Boyacı has been the world champion in “Open Water Swimming World Championships”
I hope the new year will bring health, peace, joy and happiness to all of us. We want to see no more tears and bloodshed in 2019. I hope the peaceful days are about to come for the whole humanity in 2019.
I want to finish my blog piece with a new year poem…
|A time to say goodbye and a time to say hello. A time to bid farewell and a time to look forward. A time to let go and a time to learn new things, that is what happens when the New Year rings in.
Happy new year! Happy 2019!
Author : Begum Burak